Saturday, December 4, 2010

David Rovics - Draft Dodger Rag (by Phil Ochs)

Described by Amy Goodman as the "musical version of Democracy Now!," Rovics is an internationally celebrated political folks musician. David has traveled the world as a professional flat-picking rabble-rouser, and regularly tours on four continents, playing for audiences large and small at cafes, pubs, universities, churches, union halls and protest rallies.

He has shared the stage with a veritable of who's who of the left in two dozen countries, and has had his music featured on Democracy Now!, BBC, Al-Jazeera and other networks. His essays are published regularly on CounterPunch elsewhere, and the 200+ songs he makes available for free on the web have been downloaded more than a million times. Most importantly, he's really good. He will make you laugh, he will make you cry, he will make the revolution irresistible.

Palestine Online Store (http://www.palestineonlinestore.com) is the web's leading website marketing products from or about Palestine.

This was filmed at MonkeyWrench Books (http://www.monkeywrenchbooks.org).

This is a zgraphix production.
Produced by Jeff Zavala.
http://zgraphix.org

Lyrics to Draft Dodger Rag
(by Phil Ochs)

Well, I'm just a typical American boy
From a typical American town
I believe in god and Senator Dodd
And keeping old Castro down
And when it came my time to serve
I knew better dead than red
But when I got to my old draft board
Buddy, this is what I said

(chorus)
Sarge, I'm only eighteen, I got a ruptured spleen
And I always carry a purse
I got eyes like a bat, my feet are flat
And my asthma's getting worse
Oh, think of my career, my sweetheart, dear
My poor old invalid aunt
Besides I ain't no fool, I'm a-goin' to school
And I'm working in a defense plant

I got a dislocated disc and a racked-up back
I'm allergic to flowers and bugs
When the bombshell hits I get epileptic fits
I'm addicted to a thousand drugs
I got the weakness woes, I can't touch my toes
I can hardly reach my knees
And if the enemy came close to me
I'd probably start to sneeze

(chorus>

Well, I hate Chou En-lai, I hope he dies
But one thing you gotta see
Is that someone's gotta go over there
And that someone isn't me
So I wish you well, sarge, give 'em hell
Yeah, kill me a thousand or so
And if you ever get a war without blood and gore
I'll be the first to go

(chorus>

No comments:

Post a Comment